12 Bass Etudes in C major
These exercises are perfect for beginner to intermediate bass players who are developing their knowledge of the notes on the neck and wish to develop their fretboard knowledge and reading skills.
All etudes are written using quarter notes (crotchets) to assist in prioritising the development of fretboard knowledge and each etude stays within one position. This removes concerns about rhythms and position shifts to allow one to focus exclusively on the notes.
The etudes advance using progressively larger intervals, starting with stepwise motion and developing to octave+ jumps.
The exercises are written for open, 2nd, 5th and 7th Positions, and can be repeated in 12th, 14th, 17th and 19th Positions (for those with 22 frets).
These etudes are written for the positions of a 4-string bass, but can be adapted for 5 and 6-string basses. For example,:
- Open and 2nd Position Etudes can be played at 5th and 7th Positions on a low B string
- 5th and 7th Position Etudes can be played at 10th and 12th Positions on a low B string
- 7th Position can even be read down an octave to utilise the open B string
- For 6-string basses, 5th Position becomes Open Position using the top 4 strings
- If you're really looking for a challenge then print the 7th Position etudes and turn the page upside down so the high F becomes a low B!
If you wish, these can also be used to develop bass clef sight-singing skills.
12 Etudes in C Major - Beginner/Intermediate
12 page pdf document. Sheet music only, no tab